Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Endor is gorgeous this time of year...

Alright guys I'm in Seattle and let's get the heroin flowing!!! I got some angst to release and ain't nobody keeping me off the needle!!! OK I'm just kidding I'm not going to do heroin but I definitely want to go see some heroin-fueled rock bands. I came as I am but my pillow ain't made of concrete.

So...Portland. Absolutely beautiful city with a lot of homeless people and really good beer...connection perhaps? Before getting there I had one of the longer burns of this trip going 10 hours through Redwood forests and gorgeous coastline out of Ft. Bragg, California. Don't ask me where it is but I slept there. So anyway I survived that awesome drive and landed at the hostel in Portland and was immediately directed to the Rogue brewery which I didn't even know was in Portland. Really cool place and I got to sample a bunch of their different beers as well as their fine line of homemade liquors which I wasn't aware of. Even got a bottle of whiskey to take home. Souvenirs are fun!

So I only got to put in a day in Portland because I'm running low on time and I shot on up to Seattle. And everything I've ever heard about Seattle is bullshit...the weather is wonderful here! Right now it's sunny and about 71 degrees and awesome. Even the beggars are in good spirits! Speaking of that...this easily the most homeless city I've been to so far. I'm getting hit up for change constently but it ain't so bad.

So last night I was craving some music and I went down to the Funhouse which is actually next door to the Space Needle and is a fantastic music venue. The band I saw was decent but they did prove my theory that a band's quality automatically jumps 2 points on a ten-point scale if they can employ a hot chick bassist. They were good but between the brownie and God-awful douche of a second act playing a mandolin and screaming gibberish, I went on home by 11:30 and was accosted several times by crackheads who I thought were going to rape me on the street and take my shoes. Fortunately that did not happen and I was able to survive for my glorious walking tour of downtown Seattle this morning. I also rode to the top of the Space Needle this afternoon so I've had a productively touristy day of fun. I'll likely go find a happy hour and some dinner here shortly and perhaps another show tonight if one is nearby. We'll see.

In any case this is sort of the halfway point of my trip although I will be home in less than 2 weeks. This trip has been every bit as refreshing and epic as I planned it to be and I am confident it will have changed me at least somewhat when I get back. I feel far more confident in myself and my ability to survive in the world. This country is massively grand and awe-inspiring and my only regret is that I hadn't done this sooner. After Seattle I think I may make a run for Glacier National Park and from there work my way down to Grand Teton. From there a couple of healthy burns downward should get me home to my bed.

Well a friendly New Zealander I met at the Space Needle earlier just stopped by the room to see if I wanted to go for drinks and I think I might oblige! I'll resist the temptation to ask how Frodo and Sam are doing with the ring situation. I love you guys and can't wait to see everyone again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment