Friday, July 15, 2011

Damn this toilet is starting to smell like the Sixties!

OK these hills are officially starting to own my ass. You're just strolling along enjoying the day and you say "hey I wonder what's around this corner" and then you turn and you're staring at the base of K fucking 2 but then you realize the bus stop is up there and you have to do it and then you start sweating and then the water starts getting cold on you're back and you remember what Bear Grylls said about hypothermia but you climb anyway and it's funny watching people in suits and stuff trying to negotiate super steep mountains in the middle of North Beach with little messenger bags. Oh ya North Beach is cool as hell...pizza and gelato everywhere. I think that's why I'm huffing and puffing up and down these hills...I'm eating awesome food every fifteen minutes.

By the way Haight-Ashbury was exactly what I expected it to be. There are a shitload of head shops, a shitload of drug addicts and homeless people, and every once in a while a cute little family from Minnesota satisfying the exact same impulse that took them to the San Diego Zoo. It was cool and I'm glad I got to see it but hippies, as they have since the beginning of time, still suck. Although I'm only a couple steps above a hippie so I can't talk too much shit. Golden Gate park by the way is freaking HUGE!! It's 3 miles long!! It definitely got me to thinking...Atlanta needs to step up its park situation soon. Piedmont is a baby to that monstrosity and in San Fran there are parks every other block and I'm a bit of a park guy so I wish there were more back home. I mean come on...where are the homeless people supposed to sleep and buy crank? In the street like a common dreg? That shit just ain't fair. I think I read somewhere that Atlanta has the least amount of park space of all the major cities and that sucks. Although Piedmont is a great place to have an anonymous sexual encounter for sure it just doesn't measure up to the plethora of hiding places and little nooks in Golden Gate that afford free love to flow all over the Bay Area. And be careful where you step because that free love will definitely stick to your shoe.

So Collin's got this friend Renard that is apparently very excited to show people cool stuff to eat in town and I officially feel like Anthony Bourdain minus the money and fame and coolness. We went on a taco tour the other night down in the Mission and holy shit that was freaking AWESOME! They have phenomenal taquerias out here and we went to five different ones and had a taco at each. Chorrizo and prawns and cow tongue and everything else imaginable paired with the most delicious salsas you can imagine on homemade tortillas. Needless to say I shit like Nagasaki both that night and the morning after...details that Bourdain conveniently leaves out whenever he's circling the globe eating steaming and delicious bowls of dysentery. And then last night Renard gave the green light to the second assault on my digestive system by introducing me to his favorite Thai restaurant down the way. Oh red curry spare ribs you are like spicy heroin. Although I did try to mainline them and the needle got terribly clogged. Don't try that guys...just eat them like normal.

Well what next? I'm starting to miss the great outdoors once again but I have a ticket on the Alcatraz cruise on Saturday Sean Connery style so I think I'm staying until at least Sunday morning. Collin keeps bragging about the sushi out here...we'll see what their super crunch roll does to my perspective of the universe. They probably don't have one because unlike in the South here not everything edible must be fried in oil although that does make everything better. I suppose this is turning into the Eat part of my trip if you must compare my journey to certain Julia Roberts women's empowerment movies about self-discovery. I ain't doing much praying these days but I always got a lotta love to give. Jesus that was lame. Okie dokie I gotta get my shit together and go see more stuff in this glorious town. Keep it real homies...I'll try to get one more post in before I enter the forest again because who knows when I'll have internet again. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment