Monday, June 20, 2011

If this ain't Hollywood...I'm lost.

Well I logged quite a few miles yesterday and I must say WOW what a drive! I am absolutely humbled by the beauty and hugeness of the land out here. It is definitely interesting when you drive on one road for an hour and neither see another car nor have cell phone service until you hit the interstate. So after a 7 hour drive dodging tumbleweeds I have landed in the town of Marfa, Texas. It's about an hour and a half off of I-10 in the middle of the West Texas desert. It was recommended to me by a few folks in Austin and I am loving this place!!! It is basically a town of about 2000 people that was discovered 50 or so years ago by an artist out of New York who moved here and started painting and it has become a bit of a hipster art community only the hipsters are super friendly which is a new concept to me. I asked the lady at El Cosmico where I'm staying what security was like and if my bike and everything would be alright. She laughs and says she doesn't even have a key for her apartment. Sounds good to me! Well apparently everything is closed on Sunday except for one of 2 bars in town named Padre's who actually had a guy playing guitar last night so I decided to ride my bike down and catch the show. Well it took me about 5 minutes of sitting at the bar that I started talking to a girl that was born and raised here and writes the local magazine for the area as well as the guy who played guitar...Phil Gibbs from Austin. And I definitely put in a request for Pancho and Lefty and he killed it! Oh and I also met the guy who got hit with the apple in the new True Grit movie who was funny as HELL and the guy that did the artwork for all the Eagles albums and claims he used to date Joni Mitchell. This place is definitely a trip. I'm thinking of staying an extra day or two just because Monday is apparently a weird day and alot of places aren't open. Oh and surrounding us are just beautiful rolling hills with nothing around. This is the most random weird and awesome place I've ever been and I've barely seen any of the town! I'm a little worried about the fires in New Mexico which could hinder my trip to Carlsbad...I'm going to have to keep an eye on the news and see what's happening over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment